House explosion that killed two people in Newcastle caused by drug lab, court hears

April 3, 2025

A huge house explosion that killed two people including a seven-year-old boy was the result of a dangerous and criminal drug lab making cannabis gummy sweets using 100 gas canisters, a court has heard.

Details of the causes of the blast in the Benwell area of Newcastle can now be reported after Reece Galbraith, 33, pleaded guilty on Thursday to the manslaughter of two people.

Archie York, seven, and Jason Laws, 35, died in the explosion in the early hours of 16 October last year. The blast completely destroyed one property and made neighbouring houses uninhabitable.

Galbraith had previously denied manslaughter and was due to go on trial next month but appeared at Newcastle crown court via a prison video link to change his pleas to guilty on Thursday.

Northumbria police said its investigations had revealed that Galbraith and his friend Laws were using the property as a drug lab to produce cannabis concentrates, known as “shatter” or “butane honey oil”.

This in turn was used to create cannabis edibles, or “gummies”.

Archie and his family were asleep in the premises directly above where the “highly dangerous” extraction process was taking place, police said.

Det Ch Insp Katie Smith, who led the investigation, said Archie had his whole life before him, describing it as an “unimaginable tragedy”.

She added: “The process of creating cannabis shatter and other drugs in this way is exceptionally dangerous. The truly devastating impact of this case should be enough to make anyone doing this think again.”

At a previous magistrates court hearing, prosecutors said police had stopped Galbraith’s car in April last year and found drugs. His home was searched and moulds to make cannabis sweets were discovered. He was released pending further investigation.

Analysis of his mobile phone showed 80 text messages relating to the sale of cannabis sweets.

Claire Armstrong, representing the prosecution at the magistrates court hearing, said the explosion on 16 October was caused by butane gas that was in the property to process drugs. “Following the explosion, 100 butane canisters were found,” she said.

Judge Paul Sloan KC, who remanded Galbraith in custody after he pleaded guilty, told the defendant: “As you will be aware, you face a significant, immediate custodial sentence.”

Galbraith, of Gateshead, was badly injured in the blast and his solicitor said at a previous hearing that he had been lucky to survive. He will be sentenced on 14 May by Mr Justice Cotter after a report has been prepared.

Galbraith has also admitted possessing and supplying cannabis between November 2023 and October 2024.

Police said they were keen to hear from anyone who becomes aware of people buying, taking delivery of or being in possession of multiple butane canisters or propane bottles.