Meta and Pinterest understood to have made donations to Molly Russell charity
April 5, 2025
Meta and Pinterest have made donations to a charity set up in memory of 14-year-old Molly Russell, it is understood.
Molly, from Harrow in north-west London, took her life in November 2017 after viewing harmful material linked to suicide and self-harm on social media platforms.
The Molly Rose Foundation, named after Molly’s middle name, was launched in her memory to campaign for improved internet safety for young people.
The foundation’s latest annual report refers to grants received from donors who wish to remain anonymous, with trustees agreeing to respect their request.
These payments are believed to have been made by Meta and Pinterest since 2024 and are expected to continue over a number of years, the BBC has reported.
It is understood the Russell family have not received any money from the donation, according to the broadcaster.
Details of the amounts involved have not been made public.
The donations come amid growing international scrutiny of social media companies over the impact of online platforms on children’s mental health.
In January, as part of sweeping changes to its policies, Meta boss Mark Zuckerberg said the social media giant would stop proactively scanning for harmful content in some instances in order to boost free speech and reduce “censorship”, and would rely on users reporting that content to the company.
The Molly Rose Foundation previously warned that Meta’s changes could place young people at greater risk of encountering harmful content online.
Molly’s family have confirmed they will not pursue legal action against Meta or Pinterest.
Instead, they said they would work towards shared aims via the foundation.
Leigh Day solicitors, who represent the family, issued a statement on behalf of the family.
“Following the coroner’s inquest into Molly’s death, we have decided that we will pursue the aims we share with Meta and Pinterest through the Molly Rose Foundation to help ensure young people have a positive experience online, instead of pursuing legal action,” it said.
“We, Molly’s family, have always made clear that we would never accept compensation consequent upon Molly’s death.”
Within the last nine months, the charity has recruited a chief executive officer, two public policy managers, a head of communications and a fundraising manager, according to the BBC.
The foundation has launched campaigns urging the Government to strengthen the Online Safety Act and place more responsibility on technology companies for content promoted through algorithms.
Molly’s father, Ian Russell, remains an unpaid trustee of the foundation and continues to be a prominent campaigner.
Meta and Pinterest have been approached for comment.
Register now for one of The Standard’s newsletters. From a daily news briefing to Homes & Property insights, plus lifestyle, going out, offers and more. For the best stories in your inbox, click here.
Search
RECENT PRESS RELEASES
Related Post